The information on this website is directed at those members who are opting out of the plan. More detailed information for those planning to use the service (how to make claims, etc) can be found at or via your online health and dental plan portal (which you are able to access once you are fully enrolled in the plan).

For more information about the health and dental plan coverage and opt out eligibility, please contact the Students’ Union by emailing


Below are some frequently asked questions and associated answers. Please review these before contacting the Students’ Union with questions.

Where can I find my plan information to complete the online opt out?

Sometimes when your existing coverage is provided through a parent, you don’t always have the plan information directly. You can access the necessary information on a claim card, which is provided to every plan member, or by logging into your online claims website. You can also call you carrier and ask for the necessary information. Insurance providers can provide you proof of coverage letters that include the necessary details and validate that you have existing coverage.

Can I add my dependents to my plan?

Yes. You are able to add a single dependent (spouse, common law partner or one child), or more than one dependent for an additional payment. The prices are as follows:

The process of adding dependents occurs after you have been enrolled in the plan yourself as the principle, and receive a link to your online health and dental plan portal. Through that portal you can access the option to add dependents by filing in the necessary information and by paying the fee online. An access link to this portal will be emailed once you are enrolled in the plan.

The deadline to add dependents is the last day of the month in which you were enrolled (for example, if you received notice of enrolment in October, you would need to add your dependents by October 31).

How can I tell if I’m included in the Students’ Union plan?

The Students’ Union plan is applied to all members who are registered in 6 or more units, or who are registered in a program of 26 weeks or longer in duration. The period of coverage is 12 months.

Email with any questions.

Do status First Nations students need to opt out of the Students’ Union plan?

The short answer is ‘yes, unless you want to keep both’.

All status First Nation Students who are not covered by a First Nations organization as a part of a funding agreement, such as Nisga’a Lisims students, are eligible for health benefits through the First Nations Health Authority. The First Nations Health Authority covers specific health-related items and services to meet the medical and dental needs of FNHA clients.

Students covered with FNHA are eligible to opt out of the Students’ Union plan though there are some areas the Students’ Union plan provides more coverage. Many First Nations clients find it advantageous to keep their Coast Mountain Students’ Union benefits as students are able to stack their coverage rates and pay less out-of-pocket expenses when receiving health related items and services. Students with sponsored education may not be provided financial support for the costs of the Students’ Union health and dental plan, be sure to connect with the sponsor.

To keep yourself informed of your coverage rates please visit and review the coverage provided with the Coast Mountain Students’ Union plan before choosing to opt out.

What is the blackout period?

Are you a returning student or new to the health and dental plan? You’ll be in a temporary “blackout” (aka inactive) period that begins on the first day of coverage and is generally around 45 days in duration. Don’t worry. You still are covered during this time; however, you will be unable to bill for services directly. Save any receipts for health or dental costs that are incurred during this period, and you will be able to register for online services at GreenShield and submit your claims electronically after the blackout period has ended.